Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How to find a job in 30 days: Part I

Your job search starts with…you! 

What do I know about finding a job? On three occasions, I’ve found a job inside of a month. It is no coincidence. Perhaps my career searching victories can help you, too!

It came as quite a surprise when I was laid off in December! I was called into a meeting with my Director, on a busy Wednesday morning, and there was already someone in the room…she was a representative from the HR office. Technically, this was my second layoff.

For months I had been reading articles related to finding a rewarding work-life balance. The Christian Science Monitor was publishing a wonderful blog titled The Simple Dollar, featuring an inspiring piece by Trent Hamm- a former corporate employee who left the hamster wheel to strategically spend more time with his family. I, too, was looking for a balance that would provide me with joyful employment, and allow me to enjoy those precious moments with my husband. When I received the news of my layoff, I was filled with fear, anger, and sadness. Had I performed poorly? Didn’t they know I was doing the work of three people? How are we going to pay the mortgage? What if I can’t find another job? Who are they to determine my future?

I began to frantically scour job-searching websites and submit online job applications. After zero call-backs, I decided I needed a new perspective.  (In any case, applying for jobs through online postings has never yielded employment, for me. The one positive result of the many job applications and cover letters was that I became much more comfortable describing myself and my abilities.) 

Holding to resentment, bitterness and fear was merely poisoning my joy. I spent more time praying, listening for divine guidance, and acknowledging my qualities of worth and individuality. For specifics on my prayerful search, please see my blog installment from January 28. As I let go of the mistaken idea that this job was my source of economic stability, happiness, and safety the fog lifted from my attitude.  God had provided me that job. And, whether I got another job or not, God would show me the next place to be, where I would be valued, challenged, and supplied. Anger, injured ego, blame and fear quickly disappeared, and my job search also changed.

Have you ever found yourself in this situation? How did you change your feelings around?

...Stay tuned for Part II-specific, repeatable instructions for finding a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment